Saturday, February 2nd
11:00 - 3:00
Kentucky Bourbon Ale
MORE UPCOMING EVENTS
Lehr’s had it’s beginning in 1911, as Ackermann’ Corner Grocery. John Ackermann founded his grocery, bakery and confectionery in south Madisonville, on the corner of Bramble and Whetsel. He operated the store until 1916, when he turned it over to his son, Gene. In the 1950′s, a young man named Andy Lehr added a meat market within Ackermann’s Corner Grocery, to meet the demands of the customers. And in 1955, Gene’s nephew, Don Ackermann, joined the family business, along with his Aunt Ruth, and cousins, Catherine and Ann.
Andy Lehr opened the doors to Lehr’s Meats for the first time on Baker Drive, July 1960 with two 12-foot sections of service meat counter. In 1966, Andy remodeled and expanded into a 2,000 square foot store and added a complete line of produce.
Business was growing at such a rapid pace by 1977, Lehr decided to buy the property at 740 Main Street. He then moved his butcher shop into the 8,000 square foot building, formerly the Sani-Swab building, and added 76 foot of fresh service meat counters. Lehr’s was then known as the largest service meat store in Southwestern Ohio.
Don Ackermann, who had been with Andy since the beginning, bought the store in 1983. Most of the staff that worked for Andy Lehr continued on with Don during the transition years.
In the 27 years that Don has had the store, the business has grown to such an extent that he now employs 25 full and part time employees. Also, the has 1600 square foot of kitchen space where all of the fresh salads and prepared entrees are made.
In 1991, Lehr’s opened the State Liquor Agency, and the Wine and Liquor Store was born. Housed in the same building as the Butcher Shop, the Wine and Liquor Store carries over 500 different liquors, 24 feet of fine wines and champagnes, and over 150 assorted imported and domestic beers.